Living in Bankruptcy Confusion? Escape The Stress! Nothing But Blue Skies From Now On.

Are you going to be jailed for your debt?

I know that we all saw the story this morning.  A woman in Illinois was jailed for failing to pay a $280.00 hospital bill that she was told she didn’t owe.

Distressing right?

The most distressing part of this article to me was the number of states that were allowing creditors to use the court system to jail people that weren’t paying them based upon technicalities, such as failing to respond to a summons or failing to answer an information subpoena, all while allowing additional surcharges of up to 40% to the debt for their trouble.

That bothers me.  It bothers me because I hate to see consumers abused for being unable to pay and creditors taking advantage of a system that is tilted in their favor because they can afford to use it properly.

It is important that you know your rights when you receive a summons from a creditor.  You have a right to contact an attorney and discuss this matter and the attorney you should contact is a personal bankruptcy attorney.  A bankruptcy attorney can guide you on how to best approach the very scary scenario of having been served a lawsuit that says “YOU MUST RESPOND” across the top.  A bankruptcy attorney can advise you on whether your state will jail you or not for your debt, New Jersey technically will not but the police can force you to fill out a subpoena if you fail to do so and are picked up on another infraction. A personal bankruptcy attorney can also advise you as to whether it is a good idea to fight the lawsuit or if due to additional financial obligations you should simply file personal bankruptcy.

The most important parts of getting in touch with a bankruptcy attorney is that it puts you back on even footing with the creditors suing you and you are taking a pro-active approach to resolving your financial problems as a whole.

If you have been served with a lawsuit by a creditor give our New Jersey Bankruptcy Attorneys a call at 732-302-9600 and we will do all we can to help you.